Saturday, March 2, 2024

The Advice I Wish I Had Been Given. New Grads in Veterinary Medicine

 


We are at an unprecedented time in veterinary medicine. Never before has the demand for veterinary care been so great, and never before has the availability of veterinarians to take care of animals been so thin. It is very important for new grads to understand this. We are also at a place where the ethics and intentions behind every decision being made within vetmed has serious long-term consequences. Never before have you had to start making life changing, and life influencing decisions so soon out of the gate.

No one from the other side is going to tell you this. They won’t tell you because they need you and they need you to remain new enough to be green and naive. No good, strong, lasting meaningful relationship starts with this as the premise.

When I graduated from VT I was looking primarily for two things; mentorship and long term stability where the fruits of my labors would reward me with a piece of the pie that I had helped establish. It took me a few months, and a few practices, to find this place, but once I did, I stayed. What I didn’t recognize as truly important was the people that I shared my professional life with. I had been too self-absorbed in trying to become a great practitioner to understand the importance of a place of belonging. When all else was turning into a catastrophe soup (and yes, these days are ahead regardless of where you go), I had a group of people who supported, cared for and saved me.

I have always been a veterinarian. From my earliest thoughts and actions, I was meant to be a part of this profession. I suspect most of us are this way. I was all passion, some training, and dedication in limitless bundles. What I learned is that patients come and go, your place in their lives, (albeit incredibly important) is also transient. What is not transient, what grows and motivates, and moves you into legendary, is the impact you have on those around you. What has defined legacies of the veterinarians before you, (and perhaps the veterinarians who helped get you here), is the other stuff vet med brings to your life.

Your perfect place is out there. It will grow with you, evolve because of you and be better because you are a part of it. Finding that place out of the gate will take some self-introspection, some questions you may not be able to answer fully yet, and courage.

Here are some of the insider employer secrets;

1.       If it is all about the money you will leave vetmed heartbroken/bankrupt. There are sharks among us who are here because of the money. VC’s are circling and capturing veterinarians in record numbers. You are a cog in their money-making machine. You can justify a small, transient existence among them, but you will sacrifice something along the way you will regret. Money does that. There are limitless lucrative possibilities here, but know who’s terms you are making them upon.

2.       A contract always benefits the house. Don’t sign anything. You don’t have to, and it doesn’t protect you outside of a short period of time. Everything in life is negotiable.  No one has any business influencing your heart and soul. Walk away. You need to learn this lesson early. It is ok to say no. You have a voice and a responsibility to yourself, your patients, and clients (occasionally). A non-compete, and/or gag-order are hard NO’s IMO for me. Period.

3.       Never sell yourself short. We are all growing and learning and there is beauty and strength in this.

4.       Promise yourself you will be honest from minute one day one. You can admit to anything and be ok. I promise that.

5.       Always remind yourself of your WHY. Know WHY you are here and never stray. You know what it took to get here, and never abandon that person.

6.       Have fun every single day. Nothing is more valuable than joy. (Purpose is a close second).

7.       Remember that mentoring is so much more than medicine. It is also mentoring for success in every avenue that makes you YOU.

If you truly find an advocate, they care about you without caring about how it benefits them. Vetmed was founded on this.

If any part of this resonates with you, or if you want to learn more about how we practice you can find me anytime at my email, or our social media sites. kmagnifico12@gmail.com or Jarrettsville Veterinary Center, Jarrettsville Maryland. New grads, interns, wanderers, curiosity seekers, surgery exposure, or good-deed-doers are always welcome. We have housing, no contracts, no emergency calls, zero tolerance, and hard-won cases that heal every bad day in great abundance. We never practice economic euthanasia and we never break hearts, hope, or good intentions.

Jarrettsville Veterinary Center

more on us here; Jarrettsville Veterinary Center Facebook

Jarrettsville Veterinary website, here

No comments:

Post a Comment