Sunday, May 19, 2024

Living the Dream

 Somewhere along the way the mirror becomes a microscope. 

Garfield. My latest project.
These are the moments of vet med I live for.

The reality that the sand in the hour glass is less glass half full and more the other.

You ask yourself some hard questions and are forced to face the reckoning of a lifetime of decisions.

If you are lucky enough to have time to ponder you better ask yourself if you are proud of what you see behind you, and prepared to make actionable demands of your present self.

Frippie and Oriole.
The path that lies ahead.

I took a big jump 20 years ago and bought into someone else's nest. I put my heart and soul into being the third owner of one of the oldest veterinary practices in my county, perhaps even my state. 80 years (maybe closer to 90) a humble veterinarian set his shingle out to start Jarrettsville Veterinary Center. A small make shift barn was the small beginnings of a practice focused on hoof stock. We have evolved into a 5 doctor 7 -day-a -week busy practice with 9 exam rooms and a staff of about 50. We have renovated, rejuvenated and re-invented ourselves as the place in pets lives have influenced our decisions for them. There is stability in our sturdy foundation and I am able to sit back (just a little) to ask myself what is next?

Its been about 5 years of asking myself that question.

Garfield.. the moments that suspend and define our lives.

The answer is simple. I am still the same small girl who always dreamt of nothing more than to be a veterinarian. What has changed is that now I can be the veterinarian to those who need me. I don't have to be chosen as a vet in a time slot of availability. It's a lovely twist of fate. 

Cats. The answer lies in cats. The most needy. The most abused, neglected, disposed of and the place my heart lies.

So that's what I am going to do. Set out on a new path, with a new purpose and put a few decades into them.

There are a lot of moments that I am proud of.. 
these girls.. well they are the best part of everyday.
Love lives here.

Learn more about Garfield here.


Go live your dream... what are you waiting for?

No comments:

Post a Comment